The original Lost Leaf was started as a website around 2001 that sold antique art prints. Some
prints from the site can be seen in the photos below.
From there we had the idea
to focus on local artists and wanted to help them by giving 100% of all art
sales, but needed a physical location. That original location was
found at 7th and Mc Dowell, currently where the SideBar is. It was
previously a photography studio that had not been used for about 20 years. After
an intense cleanup and re-paint you can see some photos below.
1/2004 - Opened as Gallery on 1st Fridays only and private events
Above Pictures of the Original Lost
Leaf Location top floor at 7th ave & McDowell. Which is now
the SideBar (very cool check it out)
We featured underground
performances as well as Phoenix's top artists. Due to gentrification,
the historic building that housed The Lost Leaf and the classic
underground club the Emerald Lounge
(same owner as The Ruby Room)
which was there since the 40's, is now a St@rb!cks and Pe! We!,
The Emerald Lounge and the Lost Leaf moved out shortly after the
news and a ten fold rent increase.
Above Pictures of the Original
Lost Leaf Location top floor at 7th ave & McDowell.
Check out The Side Bar located at 7th and Mc Dowell, that is the original Lost
Leaf location and it's one of the best places to get a good drink in town.
3/24/2006 - Opened as Gallery on 1st Fridays only.
5/25/2007 - Opened Full Time 7 x 365
The Location for the new Lost Leaf Gallery is
in the historic area near 5th Street and Roosevelt. It took 14
months starting in Mar 06 to secure a liquor license at this location
(#7 Beer & Wine). During that time The Lost Leaf was open
First Fridays only. As with the original location, 100% of art
sales go to the artists. The Lost Leaf was started on the idea
of getting local artists off the ground by not charging commission.
The house was built in the early 1920's. It has
recently been restored keeping the original floors and exposed
brick. In fact all the buildings brick was hand made on site.
This historic Phoenix home was the original location
of Max's Sausage started by German immigrants in the early days
of Phoenix. The original flag pole out front was erected in 1940
with an American flag to let Phoenicians know that they were Americans
now and did not support Germany in the war. You can still find
Max Pickled Sausages today around the Phoenix Area.
Centered in one of Phoenix's last original neighborhood,
Evans Churchill; you'll be taken back to the beginning of our
St Patricks Day
2006 - First Show Ever! Pre - Opening 1 Year before full time
View from copper bar pre tables
Pre-Liquor License and tables, a few hundred
thousand people later, the floors are not quite as nice =)
Post-Liquor License, duh =)
Art by Tato & Chadwick